Sunday, February 24, 2008

One Art

The art of losing isn't hard to master;
so many things seem filled with the intent
to be lost that their loss is no disaster.

Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

I lost my mother's watch. And look! my last, or
next-to-last, of three loved houses went.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

I lost two cities, lovely ones. And, vaster,
some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.
I miss them, but it wasn't a disaster.

-Even losing you(the joking voice, a gesture
I love) I shan't have lied. It's evident
the art of losing's not too hard to master
though it may look like (WRITE IT!) disaster.



I am an avid reader and music lover. I find my voice in poems and music lyrics.

Last Monday I was *let go* from a Design Team from a website along with 7 other of my friends. I had been on the DT for 4 years. We were all notified with a mass email then banned from the site so as not to say goodbye to the many friends that we have gained throughout the years.

I was in a funk about it for the whole week. I was mad, hurt, sad, depressed...I ran the gambit of emotions. It was as if someone had died. A 4 year habbit is hard to break!

I am reading the book *In Her Shoes* right now by Jennifer Weiner. It just so happend that two nights ago I was on the page with this poem. I read it and reread it again and again. WOW...that is how I feel. (I always do believe that God sends little clues and whispers to us).

This poem to me is about how we lose things all the time and it is no big deal that they should all kind of just be laughed off. But when it comes to losing a friend or someone we care about... we try to laugh it off, but deep down it is disastrous to us.

I was never upset about losing my DT position, in a way it was a relief. Sure I would miss coming up with challenges and layouts to inspire people, but that was still OK. I was upset that I could not go to a place that I had gone everyday for 4 years to hang out with my friends. People whom I have shared soooo much with.People I laugh with, cry with talk about silly things with. These friends that know as much about me, sometimes more, as my friends I see everyday. It was a special place that I thought had forever been lost to me.

Then I realized that it was not the MESSAGE BOARD, these friends of mine were not stuck there...I realized more than ever what good and loyal friends these people were. WOW...it wasn't a diaster after all. It was an enlightenment!

I want to thank everyone at www.scraplove.com for welcoming me and my girls to your MB. Thank you for making me smile again after a very long week. And I look forward to having you as new friends.

To my former DT girls...I love you and I know this has made our bond even stronger. And for my friends I have had for so many years...you'll never know how much you mean to me and thank you is not enough!!! Loyalty is the main charecteristic in a friend that I look for, you all have went above and beyond. I love you all!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

perfectly said - I {heart} you!

Kristy said...

i love that poem and "in her shoes" in one of my favorite books!!! very very well said!!!

Michelle said...

Amen sista!!! I blogged about the same thing this morning...I feel the love and the new found closeness that we have and from here on out it will only grow stronger!! That is one thing I am sure of!

Jenn Breault said...

You are so good with words. WE are the lucky ones to have such an amazing friend like you.
Love you to the moon and back!
xoxo
Jenn

Lisa J. said...

You haven't lost your friends! We stick together!

Suzanne said...

What?! I'm happy that you've found peace with it, and you don't lose friends. I'm happy you've updated your blog though and hope you'll do it more often! ;-)

Michele said...

I am really excited to hang with y'all at SL...You guys are sure a fun bunch!

Conibaer said...

I´m glad you found a new home at Scraplove! You guys are so much fun! :O)

Denise said...

So happy to see you blog again but sorry for the reason.

I'm gonna play with you guys!

Jessica said...

Hi Rachel,

was thinking of you today. things have been crazy, but I still love ya. xoxo

Michelle said...

Rachel-can't wait to see your new painted scrap room how exciting!!
I miss all you girls and really stinky how things got handled!I tried to register at scraplove and never got accepted??:(
your poor son's boo boo ouch!!